A crown is a permanent covering that fits over an original tooth is either decayed, damaged or cracked. Usually, it is last 10 to 15 years.
A treatment plan for a crown involves :
- numbing the tooth to remove the decay in or around it
- re-sculpturing the tooth to provide an ideal fit for the crown
- making an impression of your teeth in order to create a custom-made crown (usually takes 3 to 4 days)
- making a temporary crown out of acrylic resin and fitting it onto the tooth during the interim period when the permanent custom-made crown is being created
- applying the permanent crown (when received it from the lab) by removing the temporary crown and fitting the permanent one onto the tooth
- after ensuring that the crown has the proper look and fit, the dentist will cements it into the place.